The Civil War – 150th Anniversary

For the Boyd and Dawn Lunney family of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, the Civil War is an interesting coincidence of unusual family histories. Boyd Lunney’s maternal grandfather, David Taylor (of Smithfield, Maine), was a Quaker, but served in a Maine regiment during the Civil War. Dawn Lunney’s paternal great grandfather, Frederick Howard (of Kingsclear, New Brunswick), was a Canadian British subject, but also served in a Maine regiment during the Civil War, even though forbidden to do so by an act of Parliament. According to Boyd Lunney’s late sister (Alice Lunney Gregory of Westfield, Maine), Boyd’s father (Thomas Andrew Lunney of Easton, Maine) “knew old Frederick Howard and even stayed at his hotel in Grand Falls, New Brunswick.”

DAVID TAYLOR, a son of Isaiah Taylor and Mehitable (Pattee) Taylor and the father of Susan Martha (Taylor) Lunney, was born on July 2, 1833 at New Sharon, Maine. He was a descendant of four of the Mayflower Pilgrims, and of New England’s earliest Quakers. The 1850 US Census showed 17-year-old David Taylor living on the Taylor family farm at Smithfield, Maine, along with his father and mother, eight brothers and sisters and his maternal grandparents, Joseph and Mary Pattee. He married the first time to Susan W. Wakefield on May 11, 1861. David and Susan (Wakefield) Taylor had a son named Charles in 1862.

David Taylor was also a descendant of veterans of the Aroostook War, the War of 1812, the American Revolution, the French and Indian War, King Philip’s War, and even the battle of Black Point at Scarborough, Maine in 1677; so it came as no surprise to his Quaker family when, in October 1862, 31-year-old David Taylor volunteered for military service during the Civil War. Leaving his young wife Susan and infant son Charles in the care of his parents, David enlisted as a private into Company D of the 28th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment of the Union Army.

28th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment:

Organized at Augusta and mustered in for nine months service on October 18, 1862, the 28th Maine Infantry left for Washington, D. C. on October 26. It stopped at New York, and saw duty at Fort Schuyler until November 26 and at East New York until January 17, 1863. The 28th Maine then moved on to Fortress Monroe, Virginia on January 17-22, and then to New Orleans on January 22-29. The 28th Maine was posted to Chalmette, Louisiana until February 15, 1863, then moved to Pensacola, Florida on February 15, and returned to New Orleans on March 22. It then moved to Donaldsonville and had duty there and at Plaquemine until May 27, 1863.  The 28th Maine Infantry was then attached to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps of the Department of the Gulf to May, 1863. Six companies were then ordered to Port Hudson, Louisiana on May 27. The 28th Maine Infantry was assigned to Major General Nathaniel Banks’ force in its prolonged assault on Port Hudson, Louisiana.

Confederate General John C. Breckinridge and 4,000 troops occupied the fortification and batteries at Port Hudson, situated between Baton Rouge and Bayou Sara. Soldiers of the 4th Louisiana Infantry also arrived at the site on August 15, 1862. According to historian John D. Winters, “Port Hudson, unlike Baton Rouge, was one of the strongest points on the river, and batteries placed upon the bluffs could command the entire river front.”

Union General Banks and his troops assaulted and then surrounded Port Hudson from May 22 to July 9, 1863. On May 27, 1863, after their initial frontal assaults were repulsed, the Union forces settled into a siege that lasted for 48 days. Banks renewed his assault on June 14 but the Confederate defenders successfully repelled them. During a Confederate counterattack on June 28, 1863, the Union companies fought-off an overwhelming force, “killing and wounding twice as many men as they themselves numbered, including a general and several field officers – captured nearly as many prisoners as the number in the garrison and twice as many officers as there were in the fort,” according to the Adjutant General of Maine.

On July 9, 1863, after hearing of the fall of Vicksburg, the Confederate garrison of Port Hudson finally surrendered, ending 48 days of continuous fighting and placing the entire Mississippi River under Union control. Both sides had suffered heavy casualties: about 5,000 Union men were killed or wounded, and an additional 5,000 fell to disease or sunstroke; Confederate forces suffered around 750 casualties, several hundred of whom died of disease. Six thousand five hundred Confederates surrendered and were sent North into custody.

The 28th Maine was then attached to the 3rd Brigade. 2nd Division, 19th Corps of the Department of the Gulf to July, 1863. On July 4, the Regiment was ordered to Donaldsonville, and saw duty there until July 12. They moved to Baton Rouge on July 12, then to Cairo, Illinois on August 6. The 28th mustered out on August 31, 1863. A total of 1185 men served in the 28th Maine. The regiment lost one officer and ten enlisted men, killed and mortally wounded, and three officers and 140 enlisted men to disease, a total of 154.

After his Civil War service, David Taylor returned to his wife Susan and young son Charles at the Taylor family farm at Smithfield, Maine.  David and Susan Taylor then had two more children: Alma and Ervin.  The 1870 US Census for Smithfield, Maine shows David Taylor (age 35) and wife Susan (age 32) living on the farm with three children, Charles (age 8), Alma (age 5) and Ervin (age 2), along with David’s parents, Isaiah (age 70) and Mehitable (age 62).  David and Susan had another child, Mary, around 1873. At some point after 1873, Susan (Wakefield) Taylor became gravely ill.  Her close friend and neighbor, Martha A. Stevens, came to live with the Taylor’s, to care for Susan and her four young children.  After Susan (Wakefield) Taylor died, Martha A. Stevens and David Taylor married on November 18, 1876.  David and Martha (Stevens) Taylor had a daughter, Ethel, in 1877.  The 1880 US Census for Smithfield, Somerset County, Maine shows David (age 47), wife Martha (age 26) and children Charles (age 17), Alma (age 14), Ervin (age 11), Mary (age 7) and Ethel (age 2) living on the Taylor farm.  The 1880 US Census also shows that David Taylor was working at the farm of John Hoyt at newly settled Easton in Aroostook County, Maine. David and Martha had two more children, Preston in 1882 and Evelyn in 1883. At some point before July 1884, David Taylor and his family moved to a farm at Easton, Maine.  David and Martha had one last child, Susan Martha on July 21, 1884 at Easton, Maine.

David Taylor died on January 30, 1887 at age 53 at Easton, Maine.

FREDERICK HOWARD was born on November 5, 1840.  He was the fourth child of John and Jane Howard of Kingsclear Parish, York County, New Brunswick, Canada.  According to the 1851 Census of New Brunswick: John Howard, age 48, was a farmer; Jane was 38; both were born in New Brunswick and were Wesleyan Methodists; and  their seven children at that time were Alexander (age 20), Louisa Jane (age 17), Caroline J. (age 13), Frederick A. (age 11), John A. (age 5), Sarah (age 3) and Frances M. (age 1). Fredrick’s father, John Howard, was the son of John “Allan” Howard, the son of a Loyalist soldier during the American Revolution. After the American Revolution, his widow and son were stripped of their property by New York authorities and then fled to Canada and were settled on a 280-acre land grant at Kingsclear Parish, New Brunswick, dated December 31, 1799.

In 1861, Frederick A. Howard, a Canadian British subject, defied the order of Parliament that its citizens not become involved in the American Civil War, and enlisted as a private in Company F of the 10th Maine Infantry Regiment of the Union Army, which mustered at Portland, Maine on October 4, 1861.

Pvt. Frederick A. Howard circa October 1861

10th Maine Infantry Regiment:

Organized at Portland and mustered in October 4, 1861. Left State for Baltimore, Md., October 6. Attached to Dix’s Division to November, 1861. Railroad Brigade, Army Potomac, to April, 1862. 1st Brigade, Williams’ Division, Dept. of the Shenandoah, to June, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1863. Headquarters 12th Army Corps, Armies of the Potomac and Cumberland, to November, 1863.

SERVICE.–Duty at Baltimore, Md., until November 4, 1861. At Relay House until November 27, and at Baltimore until February 27, 1862. Guard duty by detachments along Baltimore & Ohio Railroad between Martinsburg and Charleston, W. Va., until May. Company “D” at Harper’s Ferry until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “F” at Harper’s Ferry until May 9, then moved to Winchester. Company “H” at Duffield’s until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “K” at Kearneysville until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “C” at Van Obeiseville until May 9, then moved to Winchester. Company “A” at Opequan Bridge until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “B” at Martinsburg until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “E” at Halitown until May 9, then moved to Winchester. Companies “G” and “I” at Charleston until May 9, then moved to Winchester. All Companies at their stations from March 28. Operations in Shenandoah Valley May 15-June 17. Middletown May 24. Winchester May 25. Retreat to Williamsport May 25-27. Reconnaissance toward Martinsburg May 28. Reconnaissance to Luray C. H. June 29-30. Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9. Pope’s Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Guarding trains during Bull Run Battles. Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17. Duty at Berlin, Md., October 3-December 10. March to Fairfax Station December 10-14, and duty there until January 19, 1863. March to Stafford C. H. January 19-23, and duty there until April 27. Ordered to rear for muster out April 27. Three-year men formed into a Battalion of three Companies and assigned to duty at Headquarters 12th Army Corps April 26. Old members mustered out May 8, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 13-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Along the Rapidan August 1-September 24. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., September 24-October 2; to Murfreesboro, Tenn., October 5, thence to Shelbyville and Wartrace. Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29. Provost duty at Headquarters 12th Corps until November. Transferred to 29th Maine Infantry November 1, 1863.

Regiment lost during service 8 Officers and 74 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 53 Enlisted men by disease. Total 136.

Throughout his Civil War service, Frederick Howard carried the following photograph of his widowed mother Jane Howard:

Following his Civil War service, Frederick returned to New Brunswick, married Ruth Langdon, and by 1868 had settled in the town of Grand Falls, New Brunswick. According to the 1881 Canadian Census, Frederick (then age 40 and a Methodist) and Ruth (then age 38 and an Episcopalian) had five children: George (age 13), James (age 11), Alice (age 8), Marie (age 7), and Lillie (age 4), all being raised as Episcopalians.

Frederick A. Howard circa 1881

Frederick Howard went on to become a successful hotelier in Grand Falls.  By 1900, Frederick (age 60) was a widower and a grandfather, but two of his daughters, Marie and Lillie (then ages 26 and 24), were still living at home with Frederick in Grand Falls.

Frederick A. Howard died in 1906 at age 65 at Grand Falls, New Brunswick.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s